Duni Group, Thomaston, GA
Mechanical, HVAC Retrofit and BAS Services
AIRCOND VALUE DELIVERED
Greater capacity; upgraded mechanical and building automations systems (BAS); increased performance, enhanced reliability and efficiency; a much improved working environment.
MECHANICAL PROJECT OBJECTIVES
To meet increased product demand by expanding its manufacturing facility and providing a more comfortable working environment for the employees.
DUNI FACILITIES BACKGROUND
Duni is a leading global provider of trendsetting food service concepts that increase convenience and enhance people's style of life. The company employs about 3,300 people in 25 countries. It has two U.S. manufacturing plants, one in Thomaston, GA, the other in Menomonee Falls, WI. Prior to expansion, its Thomaston facility consisted of a 78,540- square-foot extruding production area, a 69,960-square-foot warehouse storage area and a 15,860-square-foot office area.
HVAC RETROFIT SOLUTIONS
Realizing production requirements exceeded capacity at its Thomaston, Georgia, manufacturing plant, Duni initially asked Aircond to oversee the commercial HVAC component of its planned plant expansion. After a thorough survey and discussions with key production and administrative personnel, Aircond recommended:
- Conversion from air-cooled to chilled water for efficiency and redundancy
- Use of strategically placed floor-mounted air turnover units to provide better air movement at the floor level and significantly reduce total fan horsepower.
- Installation of a new HVAC system including new air-handling units for the office area, and replacement of the existing air distribution boxes with variable air volume terminal units and new diffusers.
- Installation of a direct digital control (DDC) building automation system to tightly manage comfort cooling limits in the plant and office area, as well as monitor and maintain temperature control of the three process control loops.
- Installation of a plate-frame heat exchanger to cool the plant and offices in the cooler months of the year and process cooling in the winter.
- Addition of commercial chiller redundancy and system expansion capability for future cooling
Duni accepted the recommendations, and Aircond delivered the entire HVAC project without disrupting Duni's 24/7/365 manufacturing operation.
Contracting Business Magazine presented EMCOR Services Aircond Corporation with a 2006 Design/Build Award for its work on this HVAC project.